How to Create your own Wedding Ceremony
In Crafting Secular Ritual, author Jeltje Gordon-Lennox provides the tools you’ll need to craft your own secular wedding ceremony, by splitting the process into three stages: Planning, Creating, Realizing.
Before you start however, it can be useful to draw up a ceremony checklist, so that you can keep on top of all three stages. Follow this link to download your exclusive Wedding Ceremony Checklist from Crafting Secular Ritual.
Sample Order of a Wedding Ceremony
- Entrance music – guests gather for the ceremony; participants and parents enter the ceremonial space; the couple enter, separately or together
- Welcome and explanations – celebrant
- Readings – friends and relatives (alternate with 30–60 seconds of music)
- Partners confirm their intention to marry
- Taking turns the couple recite a special text for their partner
- Joint wedding vow
- Symbolic gesture of the vow (wedding rings, kiss)
- Closing words – celebrant
- Exit music – the couple leave the ceremonial space followed by their guests
Page 128, Crafting Secular Ritual.